Blog 5: Project Reflection and Working EQ


The Pentagon:

Positive Statement: What positive thing happen as a result of what you have completed so far?


  • Before I started this project I thought it would be more than I can handle, biochemistry is a complex subject. But after this experience I'm more confident that I'll be able to finish the senior project successfully and be able to understand what I'm trying to get out of this topic, completely. All it takes is knowing the basics of the subject then adding to your knowledge of it gradually, anyone can understand it if you put the time and effort.


EQ Content:  Pick a piece of research or your interview.  How has it helped you improve your understanding of your topic?


  • Biochemistry and Genetics of Starch Synthesis by Peter L Keeling and Alan Myers. I picked this article because it tells a lot about the background of starch and this applies to the work I do in the lab. But what also helped me understand my topic is when my mentor Mike explained it, he gave me the background of the protein we were going to use and also the background of everything that had to do with the lab, then he explained the process we were going to do in detail. Also while we were preforming the lab he explained what each equipment did and how it affects it.


What has worked for you so far in the senior project?


  • So far everything has been going how its suppose to, I found my mentorship very easily and they are pretty friendly.


What hasn't worked so far?


  • The only change I would make is that I would schedule to start volunteering earlier because its hard to fit your schedules together. Also its hard to find good articles that you don't have to pay for to look at; I would find an amazing article that is relevant to my topic but then you have to pay to access the whole document, its sad. So maybe find books research or another way to get good articles.


Finding ValueWhat is a potential question you would like to study this year?


  • What is the process of manipulating a protein so it could be used more efficiently?


What do you plan to do for mentorship?


  • Research on manipulation of protein, try to understand the process of the lab.


Comments

Popular Posts