Exit Interview

1. EQ: How can bioresearchers best increase efficiency in natural resources for the production of ethanol?
  • By generating rationally designed mutations within ADPGlucose Pyrophosphorylase, the rate of Starch production can increase, thereby producing more ethanol.
  • Improving flex fuel engines to make them more efficient in the utilization of ethanol.
  • Improving agricultural conditions in growing maize for the production of ethanol.
My best answer is by generating rationally designed mutation within ADPGlucose Pyrophosphorylase, the rate of Starch production can increase thereby producing more ethanol. I have found studies done where the process of site directed mutagenesis is put in place within wheat which mostly consists of starch, and saw increase in seed yield and total plant biomass. I just found this answer to have more evidence behind it and I thought it was more interesting then the other answers that I have found.

2. First of all I consulted my mentor, finding my first answer was easy because at the lab I get service learning at their main purpose is to make the process of biosynthesis of starch more efficient and other little projects. So I talked to my mentor and he suggested site directed mutagenesis (SDM) with is incorporating a mutation within the enzyme (ADPGlucose pyrophosphorylase) in order for substrates to bind more smoothly with the enzyme or to make the affinity (the attraction of certain substrates) stronger. 

3. Well for my independent component I was actually suppost to preform sdm on our enzyme but it toke a couple of weeks to get the project approved by the head of our lab, Dr. Meyers. When we finally got it approved I was only able to do a limited amount of work then I had to send the primers designs off to a company so they could make them for us and then Independent Component 2 ended. But I'm still gonna finish this project even though I have enough hours cause I feel it'll be a good experience and it is important to my senior project.

4. My mentor, Mike Suseoff I can't stress how much he has helped me through this whole project. He explained all the basics of biochemistry to me and pretty much taught me all I know, he's helped me prepare through all my projects and answers to my EQ. Also the second source that helped me were all the lab reports I read about transgenic plants or mutations in a plant to increase plant biomass.

Comments

Popular Posts